How well you defend set pieces like corner kicks and free kicks can win you matches and championships.
In the video below from a Glazier Soccer Clinic Coach Jeff Gordon (not the race car driver), discusses the key coaching point with regards to this critical aspect of the game.
- Understand that defending set pieces properly wins games (30% of goals are scored from set piece plays)
- Train every player in practice
- Have multiple defense strategies for all set piece scenarios
- Take away the danger zone (usually with your best aerial defender)
- Learn and adjust from mistakes (watch film and adapt)
- Watch, listen, and read coaches during set pieces (most teams will look at the coach for what play to perform on set pieces
- Defend set pieces every practice
- Work on counter-attacking set pieces
- SET PLAY DEFENDING WINS GAMES AND CHAMPIONSHIPS
For information about how to gain access to Coach Gordon’s entire presentation, as well as hundreds of other presentation from some of the top soccer coaches from around the county, click the link Glazier Clinics Soccer Vault
The video below has sound, so please make sure your volume is turned up.