The inside of the foot is the most utilized sides of the foot and therefore the most important to learn early in a players development
In the video clip below Pro Coach Ian Sayers and all-time great player Mia Hamm discuss the importance of learning to control the ball with the inside of the foot.
The clip also contains a demonstration of a ball control drill that they call The Shadow Play Drill.
Key Coaching Points include
- Stay light on your feet and balanced
- Keep the ball prepared in front of you so that it is ready for service
- Use inside of foot to change directions
- When you change direction also change speed
- Get on the opposite side of the ball
The video below has audio, so please make sure that your speakers are on. Click the arrow to play